Friday 7 May 2010

Early May around my pond

Frid.7th May 2010.
         It's 25 years since I decided to dig out an area of my garden to install a wild life pond, infact I did most of the main digging in the evenings after work, working underflood lights. I was working to a deadline because I wanted to finish the pond before early March in time to allow the frogs to spawn in my new pond. There were about 10 frogs that came that season and they,ve been coming ever since, now I have about 100 spawning every year. From that first year I have never used fertilizers or chemicals to this day and with careful management and sowing a few wild flower seeds all those years ago my garden has become a wildlife and wild plant haven with many new arrivals that have been brought by birds or just blown in on the wind.







                                   Self seeded Water Avens


Wild orchids have colonized themselves around many parts of the garden

7 comments:

  1. It looks a quite a large pond and very pretty with all the wild flowers around it. Our's is quite small and in the veg plot (we hoped the frogs would eat the pesky slugs. At the moment it is covered with duck weed but because there are so many tadpoles in it I can't clear it so it doesn't look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David..I think I have been doing something wrong when sending comments but i am not sure so you might have already recieved this comment (after I have posted a comment I have hit the back button and I am not sure if this is deleting the comments before they are published). Anyway basically I was saying what a lovely big wildlife pond you have and very pretty with all the wild flowers around it. I'll get the hang of computers eventually:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joy your garden is David, both for people and non-human wildlife! The pond is beautiful and so natural-looking with its gently sloping sides. Your garden is a wonderful example of what we can do to help wildlife. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pond always looks different every time I view it.How often do you give the bottom a good clean out , if ever ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Geordie Magpie
    The only cleaning I do is to scoop out a bit of mulm and dead leaves with a fishnet if there is a build up on the bottom generally in March before the tadpoles hatch. I stread it on the garden near to the pond so any invertebrates etc can crawl back into the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. superb pond sir. Can you please let me know the plants that you have in there. And what is the weather like at your place generally? Is it moist and humid most time of the year?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Water gardens are stunning and calming, but, if not managed properly, will add AN unpleasant component to the landscape. You’ll facilitate stop damages by Pond Liners simply.

    ReplyDelete