Sunday 16 August 2009

The Early Season Gem










I'm at the end of the season for one of my main interests....WILD ORCHIDS
but I'm also interested and follow the fortunes of another flower that grows in our area.
It was back in early April this year when Audrey and myself climbed Pen-y-ghent (Hill of the Winds) to photograph the Purple Saxifrage (Saxifraga Oppositifolia). It grows on the 1800-1900ft. contour on the limestone crags and it really is a little gem.It's a true Arctic/Alpine flower a leftover from the last Ice Age.
It grows down at sea level in the Arctic and I've found it growing at 8500ft. in the Swiss Alps. In the British Isles it can be found on some of the Scottish Mountains, a few mountains in the Lake District and in Wales and it's most southern location in the British Isles is on the Brecon Beacons in South Wales.
By the end of April the flowers have all faded and it's all over for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment